Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Picture Tutorial: Blue Ombre Swirl Cake

As soon as I saw the Pink Ombre Swirl cake made by Glorious Treats, I knew that I wanted to make it for a special occasion. 


So when my sister said she was having a very small baby shower, I quickly volunteered to create my first ever DESSERT TABLE and I knew I wanted that cake to be the centerpiece. 


I was so excited to make this cake and so nervous at the same time. Would I be able to create the cake that I had stalked for so long. With a little planning and Glorious Treat's step by step instructions, I crossed my fingers and started the process. 


For the original step-by-step instructions, including her recipe for a perfect vanilla cake and buttercream, click this link: Pink Ombre Swirl Cake




Here is a quick picture tutorial of how I made this great cake: 




1. I separated and tinted the cake batter into five plastic containers with 5 different shades of blue. 


2. I baked the cakes in some 6-inch pans. I only have 2 pans, so I made them in batches of 2 until all 5 layers were baked. I wrapped all five layers and chilled them in the fridge.


3. I made a batch of vanilla buttercream and tinted it into 4 different shades of blue. 


4. I crumb coated the cake and placed it in the freezer to set. 


5. I then started with the darkest color and swirled the buttercream. I worked up the cake with the different shades of blue, leaving the lightest shade for last and also swirled the top of the cake. 






The surprise is the inside of the cake. It was a big hit at the party!!!!!


I can't wait to make it again!!!

25 comments:

  1. You did a fabulous job on this cake and the inside is just as pretty as the outside. Your sister and her guests must have totally enjoyed your dessert table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula!!! They did!!! I can't wait to make another one. It's a lot of planning, but well worth it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie, When you stack the layers of the cake - do you shave off any of the top so that they lay flat? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annelies. Sorry for the late reply.. Yes, I leveled each cake and TRIED to have them all the same height. I hope that helps. Thanks for stopping by...

      Delete

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio