Friday, May 25, 2012

Banana Cream Pie

My oldest son absolutely loves bananas...
We have a really hard time keeping them in the house and I have an even harder time baking with them. 

This last time, I told him I couldn't try new recipes if he ate all the bananas, so I'm proud to say that he resisted the temptation and I made a

Banana Cream Pie


The recipe was taken from the
"Family Fun Cookbook" 
By Deanna F. Cook


I bought it years ago and have made many recipes with the kids. 
It's such a nice compilation of recipes that were featured in the 
'Family Fun Magazine'. 
----------------------------------------------------
I first made the 
Graham Cracker Crust


1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
6 TBS unsalted butter, melted

Mix the crumbs, sugar and butter in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Distribute the mixture evenly around the pie pan. Press it against the pan, the bottom first and then the sides. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes and then cool before filling. 


--------------------------------------------------------
I then made the filling for the pie: 

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 TBS unsalted butter
2 large ripe bananas

Blend sugar, cornstarch milk and eggs in a large saucepan. Stirring constantly until the filling is thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and the butter. Cover the pudding with plastic wrap so that a skim doesn't form and let the mixture cool for 30 minutes. 
Restir and pour half of the pudding into the baked pie crust. Slice the bananas evenly over the cream. Pour the remaining pudding over the bananas, then refrigerate until ready to serve. 

* The recipe calls for 2 bananas. Next time, I'll probably add 3 or more. 

Everyone loved it. My husband said that he'd eat just the pudding and bananas. He said there was no real need for the crust. LOL! 



Here is the finished product...





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio