Thursday, September 20, 2012

Coconut Shortbread Cookies & A Great Cause

Being Puerto Rican means that you have certain foods and flavors that you just LOVE and cannot live without. That flavor for me is Coconut....

I love anything Coconut. I not only bake with it, I also do some cooking with coconut milk. 

I have such fond memories as a child eating store-boght coconut cookies that were shaped like rectangles. I could not get enough of these cookies as a child. As an adult, I have a difficult time finding them where I live, but when I do find a pack, I typically stash them away in a secret locale and savor a few cookies a day until the pack is empty. 



I was shopping in my local Bed Bath and Beyond, when I came across this cookbook called, "Best Bake Sale Cookbook". What caught my attention was that it was from a non-profit agency called Cookies for Kids' Cancer. I immediately grabbed the book because: (A) I can always use another cookbook and (B) the proceeds went to a great cause. 

When I arrived home, I began to thumb through the cookbook and found a recipe for 'Coconut Shortbread Cookies' and became so excited. I quickly rounded up my ingredients and began baking. 

I was so happy to see that the recipe turned out GREAT. They are so delicious with a hint of Coconut; nothing overpowering.... I enjoyed them so very much and am very excited to try other recipes from this great book. 

  

If you get a chance, I would recommend that you pick up a copy of the Cookbook for yourself. I may plan a bake sale for the near future, but you don't have to in order to feel as if you have made a contribution to a cause just by treating yourself to a new cookbook. 

Please check out the website: http://www.cookiesforkidscancer.org for more information about the organization. 


1 comment:

  1. Any book that publishes a recipe with shortbread in it is a good book in my book! Love that it helps Kids with Cancer. I'll look for it for sure. The coconut shortbread sounds and looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio